Global Perspectives – Costa Rica
Costa Rica has an international reputation as a leader in sustainability and environmental protection. How did a small country in Central America with 6% of the world’s biodiversity establish global standards for conservation and regeneration in less than 80 years?
To answer this question we will meet with experts in the field, from diverse areas of study, to take a deeper look at their efforts, vision, research and challenges to discover their passion and love for nature. We will follow the trade winds from coast to coast while discovering various life zones, endangered species and protected areas.
We will explore the fascinating geology of Costa Rica and its active volcanoes, the endemic species of the misty cloudforest that are at threat due to climate change, the rare Tropical Dry Wood Forest of the Pacific, the dense rainforests of the Caribbean, the one thousand shades of green that can be found in the Amazon of Central America, Tortuguero and the thriving indigenous communities in Talamanca.
Further, we will visit agricultural businesses that choose environmentally-friendly means of production, opposed to mass production, to allow the land sufficient time for regeneration.
Additionally, we’ll visit the Costa Rican Institute of Coffee to understand the chemistry that is behind understanding which coffee can withstand different climates, reduce impact on the environment and yield a better product. Throughout this journey we will meet with wonderful locals to understand the pulse of this incredible country and discover the true meaning of Pura Vida.
- Plate Tectonics
- Volcanic processes and materials
- Weather patterns
- Speciation of native plants and animals (vertebrate and invertebrate)
- Invasive Species
- Biodiversity (Life zones and biodiversity in Costa Rica)
- Field sampling techniques on geotermia
- Mangrove forests
- Climate change and beach erosion
- Sea Turtles (Biology of Sea
- Turtles, Ecology of Sea Turtles, Critical habitats, Threats, Reproduction,
- Lifecycle, Covid and Conservation or Sea Turtles, Malformation of sea turtle embryos, 2020 Results)
- Regulation of natural resources (Law and wildlife conservation in Costa Rica)
- Conservation (Pacuare Reserve, 31 years of conservation)
- Conservation (From the view of indigenous of Talamanca)
Field sampling techniques ( Sea Turtles)
- Eco and Sustainable
- Coffee Institute of Costa Rica (Icafe)
- Sustainable Farming and
- Environmental Education and much more!
Tortuguero National Park, Cahuita National Park, Bribri Indigenous Reserve, Pacuare Reserve, Arenal Volcano National Park, Tenorio National Park, Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Palo Verde National Park, Rincón de la Vieja National Park, Santa Rosa National Park, Costa Rica Institute of Coffee, Paradise Organic Pineapple Farm, Don Juan Coffee Farm and much more!